Albany Cardiothoracic Surgeons was established in 1955 by Dr. Allan Stranahan and Dr. Ralph Alley, who were soon joined by Dr. Harvey Kausel. These individuals helped pioneer the development of modern cardiothoracic surgery at Albany Medical Center Hospital. They were later joined by Dr. Thomas Older, Dr. Eric Foster, and Dr. Joseph McIlduff doing cardiac surgery, and by Dr. Martin McKneally doing general thoracic surgery
For over 30 years the Albany Cardiothoracic Surgeons provided all the cardiac surgery in the Capital District at Albany Medical Center Hospital, and additional general thoracic surgery at St. Peter’s Hospital.
Later, in the 1980’s and 90’s, when additional cardiac surgery facilities were required in the Capital District, our surgeons established two new cardiac surgery programs at St. Peter’s Hospital and Ellis Hospital. Our surgeons developed the new cardiac surgery program at the Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital.