Founded in 1869 by the Religious Sisters of Mercy, the hospital has grown to become a major community and tertiary care hospital in Albany, New York. The Cardiac Surgery Program began in 1989 and since then has become the largest program in the Capital District. The hospital has been the recipient of numerous high-ranking accolades from health care organizations across the country.
Achieving excellent results requires the specialized skills of an experienced team. In fact, the program has been recognized as a Top 100 Cardiovascular Hospital 10 times – the only ten-time recipient of this award in northeastern US. Such accomplishments underscore our commitment to delivering the best possible care to our patients.
The hospital’s Cardiac and Vascular Institute provides a full range of services. This includes non-invasive, diagnostic and interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, and peripheral vascular interventions. All types of cardiac surgical procedures exclusive of transplantation are performed at St. Peter’s Hospital with results surpassing both state and national benchmarks.
Treatment options we provide include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (on-pump/off-pump)
- Aortic valve replacement (Standard and Transcatheter)
- Aortic valve repair (David Procedure)
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Tricuspid valve repair and replacement
- Reoperative surgery
- Pulmonary valve replacement
- Aortic root and aortic surgery
- Aortic dissection
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- Adult congenital heart surgery (including Atrial Septal Defect)
- Surgery for complications of myocardial infarction (Ventricular Septal Defect, myocardial rupture)
- Hybrid procedures
- Arrhythmia surgery (including Maze Procedure)
- Pacemaker/defibrillator surgery
- Laser lead extraction
- Pulmonary Embolectomy