Founded in 1869 by the Religious Sisters of Mercy, the hospital has grown to become a major community and tertiary care hospital in Albany, New York. The Cardiac Surgery Program began in 1989 and since then has become the largest program in the Capital District. The hospital has been the recipient of numerous high-ranking accolades from health care organizations across the country.
Achieving excellent results requires the specialized skills of an experienced team. In fact, the program has been recognized as a Top 100 Cardiovascular Hospital 10 times – the only ten-time recipient of this award in northeastern US. Such accomplishments underscore our commitment to delivering the best possible care to our patients.
The hospital’s Cardiac and Vascular Institute provides a full range of services. This includes non-invasive, diagnostic and interventional cardiology, electrophysiology, and peripheral vascular interventions. All types of cardiac surgical procedures exclusive of transplantation are performed at St. Peter’s Hospital with results surpassing both state and national benchmarks.
Treatment options we provide include:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting (on-pump/off-pump)
- Aortic valve replacement
- Aortic valve repair (David Procedure)
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Tricuspid valve repair and replacement
- Reoperative surgery
- Pulmonary valve replacement
- Aortic root and aortic surgery
- Aortic dissection
- Minimally invasive cardiac surgery
- Adult congenital heart surgery (including Atrial Septal Defect)
- Surgery for Heart Failure (including Ventricular Assist Device implantation and mechanical circulatory support)
- Surgery for complications of myocardial infarction (Ventricular Septal Defect, myocardial rupture)
- Hybrid procedures
- Arrhythmia surgery (including Maze Procedure)
- Pacemaker/defibrillator surgery
- Laser lead extraction
- Pulmonary Embolectomy
St. Peter’s Hospital also has the busiest General Thoracic Surgery Program in the Capital District. A large variety of lung, esophageal, and other non-cardiac thoracic (chest) surgical procedures, exclusive of transplantation are preformed.
Visitor Information and Family Services
At St. Peters Hospital, we offer a number of services to make your loved one’s surgical experience as pleasant as possible, and to ease their transition home. For the patient and family, one of our RN’s, Kathy McMullen, conducts a Pre-op class. This addresses diet, sternal precautions, exercise physiology, and case management. She also explains the anesthesia process and provides a tour of the facility. Following your loved one’s surgery, we offer a discharge class for family that reviews case management, diet, exercise at home and bathing. We also take this opportunity to review the discharge packet and answer any questions prior to their discharge home.